LOSS Program Office
721 N. LaSalle Street
Chicago, IL 60654
Main Line: (312) 655-7283
Fax Line: (312) 948-3340
In cases of severe weather please call the LOSS weather
line to ensure that groups are still on as scheduled: 312/948-7902
AFSP Out of the Darkness WalkSign up for the Out of the Darkness walk with team "LOSS".
What is LOSS?
Loving Outreach to Survivors of Suicide is a free, non-denominational program that supports individuals who are grieving the loss of a loved one by suicide. The LOSS Program is offered by Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Chicago in collaboration with the Diocese of Joliet. We are funded by the United Way, private foundations, as well as your charitable contributions.
What does LOSS do?
LOSS offers a safe, non-judgmental environment where survivors of suicide can openly talk about feelings and experiences. We help you to find community, direction and resources for healing.
How does LOSS help?
- We provide a warm, nurturing network of other survivors.
- We educate members about the grieving process.
- We support your unique struggle to regain hope and strength.
LOSS Program outcomes
The LOSS program strives to provide effective and quality services to survivors of suicide. In years 2012 and 2013:
- 81% of LOSS members who received individual counseling report feeling less overwhelmed as a result of using LOSS Program services.
- 87% of LOSS members report positive shifts/changes in coping behaviors after using LOSS services.
- 100% of LOSS members who attended monthly groups stated that it was helpful to hear how other survivors coped with their grief.
Services for Adults
- Nine monthly support groups throughout the Chicagoland area, Cook and Lake counties, and the Diocese of Joliet.
- Weekly support groups for the newly bereaved in eight-week sessions.
- Individual and family counseling.
- Monthly newsletter, the Obelisk.
- We will begin a group for Young Adults (18-35) in early December at our downtown location (721 N. LaSalle St.) Please call to register for this group.
- We will also begin a group for Spouse Survivors of Suicide at our South Suburban location (7000 W. 111th St. in Worth). Please call for more information.
Services for Children
- Individual therapy for children ages 3-18.
- Group and family counseling at various Catholic Charities locations.
- Peer support groups facilitated by trained clinicians.
- Parent consultation.
LOSS program for Children and Youth
The LOSS program provides counseling services to children (3-18) who are surviving the loss of someone to suicide. Please call the LOSS line (312) 655-7283 for more information regarding this program.